Tribute Games Inc.
Based in Montreal, Canada
Early Access: July 22, 2013, Official Release: March 25, 2014 (Steam), April 1st, 2014 (PS4)
In this frantic 2D action game, you are part of the Mercenary Kings, the most skilled team of warriors-for-hire on Earth, but when your comrades have fallen and the fearsome forces of CLAW have seized an island-wide top secret Laboratory Base, you must do what it takes to stop them. But you're not going in unprepared! Your back-up is made of a crew of rogue geniuses and experts of their field! Able to craft and customize guns'n'blades or upgrading body armor, you've never been this ready to join the fight. Whether its solo or with friends, move out, cut down CLAW and save the world!
Tribute Games, formed from the team who previously worked on Scott Pilgrim vs. the World: The Game, including animator Paul Robertson, launched a Kickstarter campaign to fund production of Mercenary Kings. Our initial target was $75,000 for a basic PC version, with additional milestones listed to add additional levels and modes, online support and a console version. The Kickstarter received a total of $116,064. At E3 2013, Sony announced at their press conference that the game would receive a console release on the PlayStation 4. On July 22, 2013, an early-access version of the game, containing 60 of the final game's 100 missions, was released on Steam.
- Mission based run and gun game.
- Looting and crafting. Craft new knives and gun parts.
- Online and Offline co-op up to 4 players.
- Over 100 missions.
- Gain rank points, rank up, unlock new missions and items.
- Character animation by Paul Robertson.
Launch Trailer YouTube
Steam Early Access Launch YouTube
Online Multiplayer Footage YouTube
Reveal Trailer YouTube
Logo & Icon
Awards & Recognition
- "Hardcore Gamer E3 2013 Nomation" Mercenary Kings was nominated by Hardcore Gamer for best indie of E3 2013.
- "The level designs and enemy placements are top notch, exhibiting a strong eye for a gradual challenge curve that always keeps players on their toes."
- Matt Miller, Game Informer
- "This 2D shooter hits all of our pleasure centers with a sledgehammer"
- Lucas Sullivan, Games Radar
- "The gameplay is solid. Our little dudes (and dudette) featured tight controls."
- Andrew Gaskill, Co-Optimus
About Tribute Games Inc.
We're an independent game studio located in Montréal making entertaining games with a focus on pixel art and classic game design (sometimes with a modern twist). We are tremendously passionate about our work and our inspirations are mostly games from the 8-bit and 16-bit era. Why? Because these are the games we love and still play today.
More information on Tribute Games Inc., our logo & relevant media are available here.
Mercenary Kings Credits
Mat Janson Blanchet
Additional Level Design